A graduate of Ireland’s prestigious Ballymaloe Cookery School, Chef Olivia Power of the 4-star, 10 guest barge Shannon Princess is one our favorite culinarians on the inland waterways of Europe.
Part of a movement dedicated to crafting traditional Irish cuisine using local ingredients, regional specialties, and modern techniques, Chef Olivia’s menus reflect the best of the Emerald Isle’s epicurean bounty. Chef Olivia’s background also includes several years as a professional baker, and her handmade desserts are the epitome of decadent deliciousness!
On her philosophy, Chef Olivia says, “We choose our free range and organic ingredients from dedicated local producers with a genuine love of food. Our handmade Farmhouse cheeses are unique to each cheesemaker’s farm and their dairy herd.”
As a special treat for Barge Lady guests, Chef Olivia has given us her exclusive recipe for Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake, a sweet slice of rich cocoa enhanced by the malty flavors of Ireland’s signature brew.
Please enjoy making this sweet treat in your own kitchen.
On behalf of the Shannon Princess and the Barge “Lassies”, Sláinte!
Chef Olivia’s Guinness Stout Cake
A taste of Ireland’s favorite drink baked into a delicious chocolate cake
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream flour
- 1 cup plus 1.5 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 generous teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons natural yogurt or butter milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of Guinness Stout
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your cake tin by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Then lightly whisk the egg, vanilla and buttermilk/or yogurt in a jug.
- Next melt the butter, cocoa and the Guinness in a saucepan, when it is just melted stir it smooth making sure there are no lumps.
- Now mix all ingredients together, pour into the prepared tin and bake for approx 45 minutes or when a tester comes out clean.
- Let to stand for 30 minutes before turning out from its tin. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, dust with cocoa & serve with softly whipped cream or ice with a chocolate butter cream.